Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Day Delights

Happy Thanksgiving!
I have about 10 minutes before I need to finish up my work day so I thought I would share a few recipes that I am making this year. The first one is a recipe from one of my favorite Chefs...Tyler Florence. It is sooooo good! It is a Brussel Sprout Hash. I never knew my love for Brussel Sprouts until I saw him make this on his show and they looked so good I had to try it. Now I make it about once a month. Since we are already making mashed potatoes I will omit the potatoes.

Bacon and Brussel Sprout Hash

Ingredients:
Extra-virgin olive oil...2 Counts
4 slices of thick-cut bacon
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 lb of fingerling potatoes, split down the middle
2 cups Brussel sprouts, cut into thick slices
1/2 lb red pearl onions, peeled
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Set a large saute pan over medium heat and add a 2 count of olive oil. Cut bacon into long strips and add to pan together with thyme. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes to render the fat then strain and set aside. Discard half the fat in the pan then add brussel sprouts, potatoes and pearl onions. Season with salt and pepper and cook until slightly browned. Add chicken stock and steam for 3 to 5 minutes until liquid has evaporated and vegetables are tender. Add balsamic vinegar and toss to coat. Cook until balsamic has reduced then fold in fresh parsley and bacon.

The second is Williams-Sonoma's Cornbread Stuffing Recipe. My family always asks for it. I almost didn't make it this year because The Hubs calls it "Fancy Stuffing" and he doesn't like it..but sorry babe everyone else does so you can have unfancy stuffing..which is delicious too:).

Ingredients:
8 cups cubed day-old corn bread (1-inch cubes)
2 cups cubed day-old country-style white bread, crusts removed (1-inch cubes)
1 1/2 lb. mild Italian pork sausage, casings removed
1 to 2 Tbs. olive oil, if needed
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 cup roasted and peeled chestnuts, quartered (I do not add this to my stuffing)
1/4 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs, such as sage, rosemary and thyme
3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
Directions:
Preheat an oven to 375°F. Butter a shallow gratin pan.Spread the corn bread and white bread out on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven until light golden brown and dry to the touch, about 20 minutes. Set aside. In a sauté pan over medium heat, brown the sausage, stirring and crumbling with a fork, until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Return the pan to medium heat. Add the olive oil to the accumulated fat in the pan, if needed. Add the onion and celery and sauté, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the bowl with the sausage. Add the corn bread and white bread, the chestnuts, herbs and stock. Season with salt and pepper and stir gently to combine. Transfer the dressing to the prepared gratin pan, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking until browned and crispy, 35 to 40 minutes more. Serves 10 to 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment