Tuesday, February 12, 2013

By George, I think she's got it!

I graduated from Culinary School. I would not call myself a professional chef by any means...but I know what's up in the kitchen. So, it is super embarrassing that the one thing I can not ever get right is the simple...All American...Chocolate Chip cookie!!!!

I have gone through 100's of recipes trying to find the perfect chewy chocolate chip cookie. I love thick and chewy or thin and chewy cookies. I can make a crispy chocolate chip cookie like no other...but I don't like those!!! It is a bit of a joke in my house that these suckers get the best of me in my kitchen. I blamed it on my oven for years...until I got a new one and they still turned out crispy.

I tried cooking them for a shorter amount of time...with butter...with margarine...with shortening... and so on. I have tried different pans...different temperatures and to no avail have failed....until yesterday!!!!!

Pinterest is one of my best friends. I love her. This is where I found the "it" recipe. It was by a baker, named Karyn, God Bless you!!! She has a website called Pint Sized Baker. I can't wait to take a look around at some of her other recipes. The reason I think her recipe worked was:

  1. She used butter.
  2. She chills her dough (1 -24 hours)
  3. She uses a baking mat. 
These three things were key in getting that chewy cookie I love. Sooooo.....here is the recipe!


by Pint Sized Baker
Prep Time: 1 day
Cook Time: 9 minutes
Ingredients (6 dozen cookies)
  • 2-3/4 C Flour
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • 2 1/2 sticks Butter
  • 1 3/4 C Dark Brown Sugar - packed
  • 1/4 C Granulated Sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 2 C Chocolate Chips
Instructions
Mix the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
Cream butter and sugars on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time then add vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low and mix in the flour mixture until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
Cover with plastic wrap and set in the fridge for at least an hour, but overnight is best.
Preheat oven to 375 deg F and line cookie sheets with a baking mat. I used a cookie scoop to measure out the batter and left them as balls. I tried a batch that was slightly flattened, and the rounded ones looked better.
Bake for 10 - 12 minutes until the edges are golden and the middles are still soft. Let cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 8 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.


***I cut the recipe in half and they still turned out great!!!

2 comments:

  1. Summer, I forgot to tell you that I took a cookie (yes, without asking)when I was at your house today and thought it was one of the best I have ever had and I'm a crunchy cookie girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to ask:) I should have offered you one! There was also a burnt batch...glad you got one of the good ones....yum...yum!

    ReplyDelete