Friday, October 5, 2012

What I've been up to....

It has been awhile since I last posted. I have been so busy with little things here and there. Shane had the flu two weeks ago and then got a bad cough last week...oh the joys of Preschool and Nursery! It is my pet peeve when people bring their sick kids to school or church. Shane's Preschool will send the kid home so that is good. Anyways, I have been stuck at home, so we have had many movie marathons and I even finished a few projects! Scott has also been away on business for the last few days so I have really had some free time to do things I have been putting off. Not that he doesn't allow me to do them...but when he is home I want to spend time with him and don't get to my projects like I should. He has that effect on me:). I can't stand to be away from him!!! But, a little time away is always good...can I get an AMEN?!?!

Ok...so one of the projects I completed was actually for my wonderful hubs. Tomorrow marks two months since Gary went home to be with the Lord. There is such a big whole in our lives. It is hard that we can't share all the Shane stories with him. It is hard that we can't get together and have him cook up some good ol' BBQ. It is really hard that his chair is empty and that we can no longer learn from him and no longer touch, speak or just hang out anymore. But, the great thing about knowing someone so memorable is just that...his memory lives on. His stories, advice and love are still with us. Scott spoke about his dad at the memorial and told stories about how much he taught him. That is one of the best qualities in a dad. A friend of mine posted this on her Facebook about Motherhood but I changed it to Fatherhood because it is true for both(I think the nurturing part is more for mothers though):
"And the fundamental mission of fatherhood now is the same as it always was: to nurture, protect, and instruct children, to create a home environment that enables them to learn and grow, to help them develop a heart for God and His purposes, and to send them out into the world prepared to live both fully and meaningfully. It’s up to us to embrace that mission as our own, trusting God to walk us through the details and to use our willing fathers’ hands as instruments of his blessings.” 
Fatherhood was something Gary did well. Scott was very equipped to take on the world..both as a believer and as a man. 

Gary loved knives, along with many other things, and in fact had three knives on him when he passed:). One was a 503 Buck knife. Scott has kept that in his pocket since his dad passed. He had mentioned that he was afraid of losing it and wanted to display it somehow. So, of course, being that my love language is to buy people stuff and one of my gifts is listening to what people need and making it happen, I decided I needed to make something. I went off to Joann's and picked up a shadow box. It was actually one that had a place for a photo and to display a graduation tassel. The knife fit perfectly into that spot!!!. I added a picture of Scott and Gary when Scott was about 6 months old and the verse: "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17.  I thought this was perfect since it was exactly what Gary did, not only for his sons, but for everyone he met. He was a teacher. Also, I thought it was a great verse to go along with the knife. I finished it up one night and handed it to Scott. He said it was the best present he ever received. It filled my heart right up. When someone you love so much is hurting it is hard to find the right words to say. Thankfully God already had them all written for me and blessed Scott and I with that verse! I also purchased him a new 503 Buck knife so he could still have a knife to carry:)

 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Summer, I love this! What a beautiful way to preserve such a meaningful memento as a tribute - you are so gifted at creating lovely keepsakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful gift Summer! I love that you also bought him a new one to carry as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Summer! He loved you so much! And this post reminds me how much you loved him as well. Nothing would please him more than to see your and Scott's relationship grow and mature into the kind of relationship that he and Jan shared.... even through this tragic loss. As I said, he never saw you as an in-law but a true daughter. It's beautiful gift! What a treasure.. and so are you!

    ReplyDelete