Thursday, August 23, 2012

Until we meet again...

Writing for me is therapeutic. I write about life..happy and sad. Unfortunately, tonight I am writing this post after the passing of my wonderful father in law this morning. My heart isn't just aching it is broken...crushed really. I write this more for myself. It will heal a bit of my broken heart. Not saying that I am a "writer". A writer would know where to put these (.) or these(,). I am so far from being able to ever call myself a writer...so tonight I write this a blessed daughter in law. A daughter in law that learned what true love for a person really looked like.

First off...my father in law...Gary...LOVED my sweet mother in law. I mean how can you not. If you ever saw the two of them together there was no denying they had true love. They were married for 37 years and you would think they were still in that honeymoon stage. Gary would sing to my mother in law, Jan, and she stared at him with tears in her eyes and pure joy. It blessed her soul and he loved making her happy. Hearing her share the little things they did for eachother and with eachother made me proud to have married Gary's son, as I know he had an awesome example of what it meant to love your spouse.

Next...he loved his boys. Now lets get real he was not a softy...unless it came to his family:). He was so proud of his boys. The dynamic the three of them had was so fun to watch. From the debates...the advice..to working in the grove or on the hot rods... he cherished every minute of it. I love that each of the boys have different character qualities that are just like their dad. Gary's best days were spent with AJ and Scott just tinkering.

Gary would always joke with us daughter in laws about who was his favorite based on who had made him the last dessert. I would make him these half sugar oatmeal cookies. He loved them because they had less sugar than most cookies. I would give anything to be able to make those for him again. He was my cooking buddy. It was our common interest and to be able to cook with him last night as he made us all stir fry was a gift from God. Marthe, my sister in law, made him the last dessert so I am sure she was his favorite! He told us both so many times how happy he was for his boys to marry us. This was so encouraging.

Lastly, he looooved his Grandkids! I can't even begin to describe the joy he had in his heart when he was with Katie, Siena, Shane and Declan. He recently bought a car seat for his car so he could pick Shane up and take him places. Shane was his best buddy. I think Shane appreciated his "stuff" more than anyone self. He loved it when Grandpa would let him play with his tools. Shane was his right hand man. I am most sad about the memories that will no longer be had between Shane and Grandpa. I am very grateful for the memories that were had though. Telling people that Gary had passed away today was so hard...but telling Shane was the hardest. I didn't know how to tell him honestly. The only person I have ever lost in my family, that I was somewhat close to, was my 99 year old Great Grandfather. So, I mentioned Grandpa was sick and that he would not be there when we got to the house. This was something that he has dealt with before though...the only difference is that Grandpa would get better and come back home. After a long day I was putting on his jammies and he said, "Where is Uncle"? I told him he was still here...he proceeded to ask where Aunt Mar Mar was and Grandma...I told him they were still here as well. He then asked, "where is Grandpa"? My heart dropped. I knew now was the time. I said Grandpa is not here, he is with Jesus. He got this frustrated look on his face saying "No he needs to leave His house and come back here." I told him Jesus is taking care of him and He loves Grandpa! He wasn't having it...a little jealous Jesus was with Grandpa. He said..."he just needs to take his medicine and be alive". Wow..out of the mouth of a child. His cousins had explained to him what had happened and that was so much better to come from them and in a way he could understand as much as he could. Again, Gary's Grandkids had no lack of love. They had this game that Grandpa made up...he had a glass jar filled with jelly beans. He would give them some if he got some kisses from the kids. They thought it was great as they got jelly beans and Gary thought it was great because he got kisses!!!

I started to write something on facebook, but I just couldn't sum it all up in a few words(obviously). Thank you all for your love, support and prayers. If you still have your daddy give him a big hug the next time you see him. I thank God for the wonderful memories I have made as a Gieser. We will do our best to continue on as Gary would have wanted. So...until we meet again...

2 comments:

  1. Summer,
    Loved reading your tribute to Gary...your father-in-law. I love the hope we have of heaven...that we will see our loved ones again...those who have put their trust in Jesus. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer, this is so sweet. I didn't have the pleasure of really getting to know Gary, but I know how much he was loved, and how much he loved others by the testimonies I hear and read. Thank you for posting this. <3

    ReplyDelete