Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Anchors Aweigh

We have lived in our home for 2 years now..and for two years the wall above my couch in my family room has remained naked! I am trying to not buy things on an impulse just because it is inexpensive. I have learned from my mistakes and have slowly started to edit out all the impulse buys that just were not what I was looking for. Soooo...that is the reason why my walls remain bare. I saw a picture on The Lettered Cottage via Pinterest that sparked a feeling of happiness and my DIY meter went off. I knew I could do it..even with my limited talents in painting. Here is the inspiration picture....
See that black and white striped umbrella painting<3
I loved the umbrella idea but my Family Room is Nautical decor. So..then I thought..oooooo...I can do a beach umbrella. Then one day I thought why not do an anchor????? I LOVE anchors and I remembered that I saw a cute anchor graphic on The Graphics Fairy blog. I printed it out and was ready to get all the supplies I needed. I happened to tell my sister and she just happened to have a 30x40 canvas laying around(nice to have an artist in the fam...thanks sis). So she brought me the canvas and all the paint and supplies and I got to work. 
I used 2 inch painters tape to mark off my stripes. I wanted 2 inch stripes so it worked out perfectly. I was tempted to just leave the tape up and not paint at all...too bad I didn't have dark gray tape!

Painted 8 stripes in a dark gray (Acrylic Paint)

Took me about an hour to paint the stripes...I had a tiny brush and it took a few coats.

I decided to free hand the anchor. It isn't perfect...but close enough:)

Taadaaa...my free art work(sorry for the horrible pic...my camera needs to retire).
Anchors Aweigh(always thought it was away???)...this is a Navy term..."Aweigh" means that that action has been completed. Very fitting....my Anchor Art is Aweigh:).
****Entering this post into The CSI Project....Visit thecsiproject.com

7 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love this! It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Summer!!! Can't wait to see it in person at craft night :D
    *Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer, thank you so much for visiting me and for your kind comments at Rook No. 17! Your wall art turned out beautifully. Wishing you best of luck in the CSI Project challenge!

    Jenn
    P.S. Love the name of your blog! I used to have a bakery called Flour Shop Boutique Cakerie, so the play on "flour" is very near and dear to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn...thank you so much. That is such a cute name for a bakery. That is the name(flour power) I wanted to use if I ever opened a bakery...never did so I thought it was fitting for my blog:)Thanks again!

      Delete
  4. Love it so much, I just might have to copy you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm dropping by as the guest judge on The CSI Project this week. Great job! I love that you made a simple (and free) piece of art that makes a huge impact.

    ReplyDelete