Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes

I recently helped host a dual baby shower. It ended up just being a single baby shower as one girl had her baby girl that morning! I decided to do something different than the usual vanilla and chocolate. Nothing wrong with the classics, but I wanted to try something new. I did a Strawberry Cupcake with a Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting. The frosting had cream cheese, butter and shortening..so of course it was delish:). This one is a little more time consuming if you make the lemon curd yourself. I never made lemon curd before so I wanted to try it. I can cross that off of my baking bucket list.You can always just buy it pre-made in the store. This is a great Summer Time cupcake. Happy Baking!

Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
From Cupboard to Cupboard


For Cupcakes:
1 package white cake mix [I like Betty Crocker]
1 (3 oz) package strawberry jello
1 cup mashed fresh strawberries [1 1/2 cups whole=1 cup mashed]
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup buttermilk (If you do not have buttermilk..I always use regular milk and add about a tsp of lemon juice per cup of milk stir and let sit for about a minute)
4 eggs

In a large bowl, stir together cake mix and jello mix.  Make a well in the center and pour in mashed strawberries, oil, milk, and eggs.  Beat on low speed until blended.  Scrape bowl and beat 2 minutes on medium speed.  Pour batter into prepared cupcake pans with liners. Makes about 30 cupcakes.Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until cupcakes are done. Cool on wire rack until completely cooled.

For Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 cup crisco
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
2 pounds powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons lemon curd
1 drop yellow food coloring
1 tablespoon milk if needed( I did not need)

Cream together shortening, butter, and cream cheese until good and smooth.  Add vanilla and combine.  Sift together powdered sugar and salt and slowly add to creamed mixture.  Add lemon juice, lemon curd, and coloring and mix well.  If the frosting is too stiff, add milk.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds SO good. My FAVORITE new frozen yogurt flavor is Strawberry Lemonade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw that you posted your recipe - they were soooo tasty!

    ReplyDelete