Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Amy Sedaris' Vanilla Cupcakes

I needed a cupcake fix. I only had 2 sticks of butter so I had to make a small batch..but all I really needed was one cupcake...ok two. Amy Sedaris is a comedian/actress...I knew her name sounded familiar..recipe sounded good..so I crossed my fingers and hoped this actress knew what she was doing...and she sure did. The cupcakes were moist and a perfect soft texture. I had to 1/2 the recipe...which always scares me..but they turned out great and I got a baker's dozen out of it. I also made a new recipe for the frosting. It was a mixture between a creamy buttercream and whipped frosting. I had to really make a small batch of this and it turned out really good. Here is the recipe for Amy Sedaris' Vanilla Cupcakes via Epicurious:

Amy Sedaris' Vanilla Cupcakes(Full recipe...I cut it in half)
Epicurious

October 2006
by Amy Sedaris

Ingredients
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups milk

Turn oven on to 375 degrees F.

Put butter in mixer and beat at medium speed until somewhat smooth. Pour in sugar and beat well. Add 2 eggs. I like to crack the eggs on the side of the bowl while it is moving, which can be really stupid. I like to take chances. Yes, I have had to throw away my batter because I lost eggshells in the mix. Yes, it was a waste of food and yes, I know how expensive butter is, but what can I say? I'm a daredevil. Mix well. Add: vanilla, baking powder, salt, flour, and milk. Beat until it looks like it is supposed to and pour into individual baking cups, until they are about 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Should produce 24 cupcakes; I get 18 because I'm doing something wrong, although my cupcakes were voted second best in the city by New York Magazine.
***Notes by Amy:) NY mag named them 2nd best and I can see why! She also has a buttercream recipe...but I had my heart set on trying a different one..I'll have to try it out and let you know what I think.


Oh and here is the Buttercrean Frosting recipe I used in case you are looking for something a little lighter(in texture not calories). Can't remember where I found it...some blog out in blogland.

Buttercream Frosting (Sorry no photo..having issues..I am not able to put more than one pic up...argghhh)

2 c. butter
4 c. powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt
1/4 c. milk or heavy cream ( I used milk..but want to try the heavy cream)

Beat butter and powdered sugar on low until creamed..then add remaining ingredients one at a time at medium speed for 3-4 minutes..until well combined and the desired consistency. Add more powdered sugar if it is too thin or less milk..whatever works for you.

Enjoy and happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment