Thursday, March 3, 2011

Can I get a do-over???

Have you ever just wanted a do-over? A Mulligan? Or a complete renovation/makeover of your life? I have been at that point many times in my own life. I ask myself why did I not do this. Or why didn't I start something earlier in life? Why don't I have more self control...why didn't I share my true feelings...why didn't I get involved in the lives of others. I begin to examine my life and it is full of what ifs and why nots.
Being shy doesn't help these feelings of regret. I miss out on so many great events and relationships. The fear that runs my life is crippling at times. This is when I cry out to God and pray for a do-over. I tend to think I need to run away..start a new life...a life where no one knows that I am afraid...or knows of my short comings.I get an urge to transform my outer being about once a year. A makeover can make me feel like I am starting over...but we all know that it needs to be a makeover of the inside and not the outside. Praise God that each day is new. I don't need to start from the very beginning. God gives us a chance to start new each day..each moment. Can I get an "AMEN"?

"Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:
Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness
" Lamentations 3:21-23

The idea of this post came into my mind when I read this post. The blogger had picked up a book titled: Everything I Know I Learned from Home Improvement. One of the lines in the book that really made me think was from the chapter titled: Mistakes Create Possibilities. It states: "We all want a makeover because it feels like starting over. Yet we forget the real change requires planning and hard work". This is referring to a home makeover, but also is tying it into our own day to day lives. We think that if we do something so drastic that is will detract from the pain...fear...worry..or whatever is going on in our lives. By transforming the outside it will somehow make the inside change. But it couldn't be more opposite. We need to work hard and making the real change in our hearts and minds.

1 Samuel 16: 7 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”


I am thankful for the wonderful life I have. A loving husband...the cutest, smartest..most talented son:) and great friends and family. I am thankful that I don't need to start over...but if I did...I would hope I would come back as a Black Woman..mmmhmmm...you read right....a Black Gospel Singer to be exact. And I would sing this song below all day to my Lord. Who knows maybe I do sound like a Gospel Singer to God...praying that at least when I get to heaven I can sing with some great power and soul!


Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
there is no shadow of turning with thee;
thou changest not, thy compassions, they fail not;
as thou hast been thou forever will be.

Great is thy faithfulness! Great is thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
all I have needed thy hand hath provided;
great is thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!


Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
sun, moon and stars in their courses above
join with all nature in manifold witness
to thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.


Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
thy own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

No comments:

Post a Comment