Sunday, December 13, 2009

Christmas Goodies

I usually try new recipes out on people when they come over. That can either go great or ruin a whole night. I had my parents over for my Dad's birthday and decided to BBQ for the first time. Scott was at work and wouldn't be home in time. I got the BBQ started and put on a Tri-tip. The seasonings smelt soooo good. There was a thick layer of brown sugar. As we all know sugar burns! Boy did it. I had the heat up way too high, for way too long. Low and slow Summer...low and slow!!! About part way through the cooking process I remembered that and checked on it. Yea it was burnt. Luckily I did not trust myself so I had some chicken baking in the oven. So we had boring baked chicken legs. I didn't even have one they looked so gross. I chiseled through some tri-tip and ate that. It was actually pretty good despite the candied crust. Everyone ended up trying it and liking it. Sorry Dad! I need to try recipes out before I decide to make them for a crowd. Below is my Peanut Brittle recipe. I made this for the first time for our Christmas Party. I have to say it was fun to make and Scott thinks I should sell it! Peanut Brittle is one of those things that I have to make every Holiday season. Enjoy.













Peanut Brittle

1 c Sugar
1/2 c Light Corn Syrup
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 c Water
1 c Peanuts
2 TBS Butter, softened
1 tsp Baking Soda

Grease large cookie sheet and set aside.

Measure out all ingredients ahead of time. You will need to move quickly and you don't want to get stalled by measuring out everything as you go along.

In a heavy saucepan, over medium heat, bring sugar, corn syrup salt and water to a boil. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in peanuts. Put your candy thermometer in place in the saucepan and continue to cook. Stir frequently until the temp reaches 300 degrees.

Remove from heat and immediately stir in the butter and baking soda; pour at once onto cookie sheet. With 2 forks gently pull the mixture into a rectangle about 14x12". Cool and then snap into pieces.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for visiting me! nice to have you over. glad you like the recipe card idea..i have been looking for a peanut brittle recipe and ginger snap recipe:) thx i love your blogs. went over to your family blog.so cute! im now a follower :) have a great day.
    blessings,
    aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm....that looks good. Can you teach your sister to make this? Anyways it was good reading through your blog entries, and just between us (and the world) you really should think about doing some more writing.

    ReplyDelete