Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Welcome Shane Joseph Gieser

Well my little man is finally here! He arrived on April 16th at 8:55pm. Weighing in at 8lbs 2oz and 20.5 inches long. I went to Dr. Marcus on Wednesday, had high blood pressure yet again and so off to the hospital I went. Dr. Marcus had talked about inducing on the 20th since I still had high blood pressure, but then the ultrasound showed that the baby would be 8 lbs and 15oz!!! Dr. thought that with the combo of my high blood pressure and the risk of him having a shoulder get caught that it would be best to have a C-Section. So, we decided that we did not want to risk the chance of any complications and I was scheduled for a C-section around 8:15 on Thursday the 16th. I wasn't really scared to be honest. I just wanted to have a healthy baby and God really put my heart at ease.
So, at 8:55pm Shane was welcomed into the world and our hearts. Man, I am already crying just thinking about it again. This whole experience has made me so emotional. The love I have for him from the time we conceived until the day I met him was so intense. Because I had a C-Section I could not bond with him like a normal delivery. I had to wait almost two hours to get sewed up and stay in recovery before I could see him. Scott was able to stay with him the whole time so I was glad for that. The whole family came and Ryan and Heather. Everyone got to kiss him..Scott opened the door of the nursery.
I can't even describe everything that goes on when you see your baby for the first time. I would do anything for Shane. I hate to see him in any pain. He had to do a variety of tests that were normal, but the blood test was the worse. Some young girl comes in takes my baby lays him in a hard, cold hospital bassinet and pricks the bottom of his feet to get blood. He doesn't bleed very well and is crying uncontrollably. If I didn't just have surgery I would have jumped up and punched her in the face! I know she was just doing her job, but I felt so helpless. I just wanted to hold him and tell him everything was going to be alright...ohhh here come the tears again. Once she left I held him tight and cried my eyes out.
I shared a room with another lady who had a C-Section as well. It was not the best. When her baby was crying mine was sleeping and visa versa. The nursery did come and take Shane for a few hours so I could get rest, but I really did not want him to leave my site. I had a really hard time letting him go. Scott and others said that I really need to get the sleep and once I am gone from the hospital there is no more nurses so I better take advantage of it!
I was able to leave the hospital on Sunday morning. The doctor said I could leave on Saturday but I really felt that I needed to stay one more night to heal more. We had many visitors. It was so great to share this experience with all of them. Shane was healthy, a little Jaundice, but other than that God had his hand over him and his mama through the whole nine months and after!