Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Summer Lovin: Top 5 Interior Designers

What? Another blog post? Can you believe it? I can't, but I am trying hard to stick to my New Year Resolutions, so here you go! Yesterday, I wrote about finding your design style. I mentioned looking through magazines and online, but another great way is to follow Interior Designers that have a similar style.

I came up with a list of my top 5 Interior Designers. I have been stalking following these designers for years. They each have their own unique style that I really appreciate. There were many other honorable mentions but these ladies(yes, all ladies) are my faves!



Up first is a designer who started it all. She is the reason I am addicted to HGTV. Her name is Candice Olson. If you have not watched her shows (Divine Design and Candice Tells All) or read her books... stop what you are doing now and watch/read them and them come back and read this post. She is a designer in Canada(which most of my favorites come from there). Her design style tends to be more on the Modern side..but like many others she can do it all. I love her style because she always throws in some glamour. She has her own wallpaper line that is simply stunning. I went into a shop last year where they had her wallpaper book and I sat down and drooled over each sheet of wallpaper. I will have wallpaper very soon in my home! She always incorporates so many textures into her design. She is also very talented at sketching her room designs. Being able to envision your design is a great talent and she is definitely a pro at it.

 




Next, is another designer I have followed for years and saw first on HGTV. Her name is Sarah Richardson. She has a few shows as well on HGTV (Sarah 101, Design Inc and Sarah's House). I love her personality. She is so down to earth, much like Candice. She is also in Canada. Her style is more Farmhouse/Country. You may think Country is old fashioned and picture chickens and gingham...but her country is so beautiful. I love her use of old architectural pieces. While Candice uses mostly new products, Sarah uses many antique pieces. There is nothing I love more than to watch her go shopping, with her sidekick, Tommy,. Together they find the most unique pieces. She also has a modern side. She has designed some beautiful bathrooms! I can't say enough about her. She is just the best! P.S. I joined a live chat once with her and she talked to me twice...EEKKKK!!!!

 




Sabrina Soto is someone you probably have heard of. She is a home style expert for Target and has really stepped up Target's Home Decor. She is a young designer, based in New York. She does it all. If you watch her show The High/Low project, you will see her getting her hands dirty and building things. The premise behind her show is to design a high end look for her clients and then reproduce that look for whatever her clients' budget is. She always does a wonderful job and it is hard to find any differences between the high and low look. She also has a guy helping her, named Chris. Oh my word...if I had an assistant I would want him. He can build ANYTHING. He is so talented. Together they make pure design gold! P.S. She responded to me on Facebook...lol...it's the little things...to me those were big deals talking with my favorite designers.

 




Another oldie but goodie is the beautiful, Genevieve Gorder. Again, have watched her shows forever. She is the host of "Dear Genevieve' and wow...she is amazing. Her style is really influenced by her travels. She designs the most beautiful Moroccan and Turkish Baths! Her tile choices alone make her one of the best. I love all the different textures and patterns she introduces. She lives in NY and she uses all that town has to offer. I love seeing her go to these small shops and using local resources for her design jobs. Love...love...love her.

 



Last, but not least, is Emily Henderson. Oh my goodness she is a quirky...sweet thang! I first saw her on my favorite show "Design Star". She won and soon after got her own show: "Secrets from a Stylist". She is an amazing stylist. The way she groups items is such a talent. She is always on the search for unique items. You can find her searching Craigslist, Estate Sales and Flea Markets. Another girl I would love to go shopping with. Seriously, if I could just follow one of these ladies around I could die happy. Emily, just had a baby boy and moved into a new home. She has a wonderful blog that she keeps up to date with her latest design jobs. She uses some MCM pieces which really make me happy! Oh, and I believe she lives in L.A.

There are so many more designers that I could list. These are my favorites and have taught me so much. I also follow many designers who may not have their own tv shows but are still super talented. I will leave a link to their blogs below. They range from Farmhouse to Modern and everything in between. Like I said in my last post. I love all design, making my home beautiful for my family brings me joy. Learning from these designers also brings me a ton of happiness. Make sure to check them out and let me know who you love! I can always use more designer love in my life:).

Honorable Mentions:
Layla: http://theletteredcottage.net/
Kirsten: http://6thstreetdesignschool.blogspot.com/
Caitlin: http://caitlinwilson.com/blog/
Chris http://chriskauffman.blogspot.com/
Emily: http://emilyaclark.com/
Emily: http://jonesdesigncompany.com/
Sarah: http://sarahmdorseydesigns.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment