Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Oh Happy Day!

Could it finally be...that we have a potty trained 3 year old in the house???!!! WooWoo. So I totally hate potty training. Mainly because it involves perseverance, patience, pee and poop. All of which stink. At about 18 months Shane showed interest in sitting on the pot. I was like oh yeah, this is going to be a breeze. He is just going to sit there and pee all by himself. Then I was like...wait aren't boys suppose to stand??? Being so small I thought sitting would work better...but it didn't really matter because it wasn't happenin'! I quickly learned that this was something he had to do on his own terms. I have friends who start potty training at a few months...some that start at 1...2...but by now I felt that I had failed as a Mama. He would never get into Preschool...I would have to home school him because he would be 5 still wearing diapers...but where would I find diapers big enough??? He was already in the largest size....would I have to buy Depends? These are the random thoughts that sped through my mind. 

I realized that I always started to train him on the weekends. Since I had no work I thought that was best. But in reality we always had some where to go and it was just not working. I am home all day...doing it during the week when I can't leave home would definitely work out better. So, this week I made it a point to really try and to not be lazy...because consistency is the key. Scott happened to come home and say that he really wanted to make this the week we really work on the potty training. So we were both on board.

 I have about 15 diapers left and I am sooo done with diapers. The best advice I did receive was to wait until they are ready...although I thought that may be a few years from now. He finally has spent the whole day with no diaper and has gone to the restroom like 30 times(not an exaggeration). So, now the test is to see how he does through the night. We aren't 100 percent there but he is growing up so fast. I mean the kid is peeing in the pot and chewing gum without swallowing it. S-l-o-w down! It is exciting and sad at the same time. Those diapers were the last little part of his baby phase. Most would think this would be the perfect time for another one...but I am going to relish in this no diaper phase for a bit longer:)

No comments:

Post a Comment